A Rabbinical Student's Blog

Monday, February 11, 2008

Difference Between Descriptions & Divrei Torah

Last weekend during my internship, I delivered a devar torah on the verse, “A witch you shall not let live”.* Although there are a lot of interesting verses in the parshah of Mishpatim, this verse sticks out like a sore thumb. It sparked my interest, so I decided to speak about it. I had also given a presentation on this topic at the end of my mekhinah year at YCT (sources for that presentation). However, a presentation on a topic to describe it and talk about it is very different from a devar Torah on that same topic, with my having some measure of difficulty with the latter.

*Also during my internship weekend I gave a “Worship Workshop” on shabbas morning on Shema and its blessings. “Worship Workshops” are a term coined by my mentoring rabbi for a class to be delivered on shabbas morning about a given topic in prayer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home